Wednesday 19 September 2012

Animal Ark

My hens show no fear of my cat, Spud.
Spud Cat fails in his duty as doorman
Shortly after they arrived, Spud paid close attention to them (as possible lunch) and they ganged up on him, flying at him with feet and claws outstretched.  Ever since he's been most respectful, which is a relief as I want all my animals to live in harmony, which for most part they do.  
Also the girls show no respect for place, theirs being the hen run and the garden.  It's becoming clear that they simply don't agree with my perception of where they should live, particularly Henrietta who is gang leader on their all too frequent forays into the house.   


This is the result.  Should I phone Gamblers Anonymous?


And she is getting bolder. 
A few days ago she hopped up onto the computer desk while my back was turned.  I just managed to grab the camera in time to catch her playing a game of Freecell on the computer.  
Is she a new breed of cyber hen, I ask?  Is the human obsession for constant Internet connection and all things electronic filtering down through the animal population of the planet?



Where's the phone charger?

 No longer content with a warm bed and a handful of corn, will my feathered friends now demand a telly complete with digi-box in the hen house.  Will it be  mobiles to stay in contact?  Instead of the gentle clucking that comes from the shrubbery, will the peace be disturbed by a dreadful tinny 'Cockadoodle Do' ring tone?
The mind boggles.
Plus, I don't think the neighbours would be impressed as  I promised them I wouldn't get a cockerel. 


 
Just waiting for 'Chicken Run' to come on.
I once lost Henrietta. I searched the garden, the henhouse and garage but she was nowhere to be seen.  I walked down the road, quietly calling to her.  The hens respond to certain sounds  but I prayed that non of my neighbours were about. The sight and sound of a woman wandering down the street, calling 'buck buck' while examining their gardens, could make them worry. They think I'm mad anyway, there was no need to reinforce that opinion.
It was only when I returned for the car keys that I found her, standing on the back of the sofa, gazing at the telly.


So if this constant influx of animals continues, will we be classed as overcrowded?  Will I be forced to fling out an extension to the house?    I think I'd better think this through again.

No comments:

Post a Comment